I will never forget the remarkable magic I felt after attending my first Kundalini Yoga class. I will also never forget the resulting anxiety, trying to figure out how to cover my dang crown in an effective, but still stylish way. If head covers and turbans are still a mystery to you, go ahead and read my blog What’s With The Turban? If you are any thing like I was, eager to jump right into the spiritual teachings of Kundalini Yoga, but having a hard time figuring out what to put on your head, check out these options I’ve discovered over the years below. (Also note: For White Tantric Yoga it's recommended to cover the whole head and hairline, so a couple of these options may not be suitable. If you have any question, check with your local teacher or White Tantric facilitator)
1. Headbands An easy and stylish option, headbands can be a great first step to covering your crown during meditation. Be sure to find them in 100% cotton, and find the type that opens wide so it will cover as much of the top of your head as possible. Check out the headbands we sell at Long Time Sun here.
2. Scarves Cotton scarves are also an easy alternative to tying a full turban. You can drape the scarf over the head and around your neck. Women in India typically cover their head this way. The drawback to this method is you won’t be able to keep it in place during yoga, but it’s a quick and easy option for sitting meditation. This style also just looks beautiful. A selection of 100% cotton, woven, lightweight shawls can be found here.
3. Urban Turban So you want the look of a turban but don’t have the patience to actually tie one? Ready-made turbans are amazing! They are designed to be worn over the crown like a hat, and then have long ties that easily wrap around to complete the look. Here is a video of one of the styles we carry.
4. Knit Hats One of the most popular options for covering your head is a simple knit hat. They are unisex, 100% cotton, quick, easy, and effective. You can even throw a scarf over a knit hat for more coverage. Find them here.
5. Turban Ready to take on the task of tying a turban with turban fabric? Check out our youtube videos here for instructions. Tying a turban takes some practice, but it’s definitely worth the effort. With a number of benefits, including holding the energy in, aiding with focus, subtly adjusting the cranium, you may feel a huge difference in your meditations. Watch our videos here. Purchase turban material here.
These are just a few of my favorite options - but there are certainly others. I encourage you to find a way that feels authentic and comfortable for you. Sat Nam!