By Kyla Rose Maher
“Your heart has not to open to others. Your heart has to open to yourself.” -Yogi Bhajan
In celebration of Valentine's Day, we decided to share 5 of our favorite Kundalini meditations for the Heart. An open heart chakra is full of love, compassion, and forgiveness. If the heart chakra is off balance, one might feel disconnected, a lack of empathy, insecure, and fearful. These meditations are designed to bring the practitioner back into balance to live with a full and fearless heart.
1. Meditation for a Calm Heart This soothing breath practice (pranayama) relieves anxiety and promotes calmness and mental clarity. It's a great meditation for beginners. Emotionally, this meditation adds clear perception to your relationships with yourself and others. If you are upset at work or in a personal relationship, sit in this meditation for 3 to 15 minutes before deciding how to act. Then act with your full heart. Find the full meditation here.
2. Meditation to Open the Lock of the Heart This meditation is a powerful way of opening up to your own Infinity. The instructions say "You must bring forth the entire power of your being, using a great force with the movement" so this one isn't for the faint of heart! Put the energy into it, and "through this meditation you can move the power of the ida and pingala, and open up the sushmuna." Find the full meditation here
3. Meditation to Heal a Broken Heart This meditation relaxes the autonomic system which can bring peace to your heart and mind. "This mudra creates balance; it generates a subtle pressure which adjusts the heart meridian along the little finger and outer forearm, activating the "action nerve" junction with the autonomic system to reset itself by keeping the forearms parallel to the ground and involving the armpit reflexes; and finally, it uses the pranic influence of the middle finger and its Saturn and air qualities to quell residual emotional storms." Find the full meditation here
4. Meditation for Creating Self Love “Love doesn’t rule you. What rules you is fear, phenomenal fear. Through this kriya, love can be invoked and fear can be reduced.” -Yogi Bhajan. This meditation cultivates self-love and self-blessing through balancing the magnetic field. It gives strength to the heart and opens up the heart center. Find the full meditation here.
5. Meditation to Open the Heart"If you feel your heart is closed and there is no flow of love, and you want to open your heart, do this meditation." - Yogi Bhajan. A beautiful chanting meditation, this is one of our favorites for opening the heart center. (Check out musical versions by Sat Purkh or Annki Har Dyal Kaur & Klas Landahl) Find the full meditation here.